Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Stability in Instability

Nothing in our lives is set in stone at the moment. We are still in Nairobi and are not sure what our future in South Sudan looks like right now. With so many things up in the air, we are trying to make sense of it all somehow.

The day after we arrived here in Kenya, I flipped to a recent entry in my journal. The entry was from 8 days prior to us having to evacuate and I had felt like God was saying the following:

“I am calling you to a new place of security in Me. Trust and believe that My love is enough…Your security is in Me. It is not in your comfort or your circumstances. You are okay because of my constant love. Keep your eyes steady on My gaze. It is the only way you will be able to keep standing when the waves come. I am the only thing that doesn’t change. I am the only consistent source of stability. Look to me for your equilibrium. Stay secure in my consistency and in my love. I am enough for you.”

What a kind God! He spoke this to me before I had any idea that the waves were coming. He was preparing my heart for what was it come. That is exactly what this time is looking to be- looking to God for our equilibrium. It would be very easy to get distracted and angry in this time where we don’t have many answers. However, we are being reminded over and over again that God is enough. He is the only stable source in the midst of a world filled with instabilities.

When I first started to be interested in missions, I remember my dad sharing an Oswald Chambers quote with me. The quote is. “We are called to God first and ministry (people, country, work) second”. My dad wanted to make sure I knew when you are a missionary, it is easy to fixate on the “work” you are doing and even on the people you are serving more than on God, but the purpose of missions is God. He is where our devotion needs to rest.

This evacuation has been another reminder of that. We are called to serve God. Whether circumstances have us in Mundri, South Sudan, Nairobi, Kenya, or Australia (not an option, I just thought I would throw that out there ;)). our calling is to God first and ministry second. While we are in this limbo period, I am praying for a new understanding of what this fully means. All that I know now is that God is the same “ yesterday, today and forever” and everything else seems to change by the second.  In order to “stay standing when the waves come”, we need to keep our eyes fixed on the One who does not change.


This is our goal right now- to trust in the stability of our never-changing God. He is enough and He will provide- even when we are surrounded by instability.

No comments:

Post a Comment