Thursday, August 6, 2015

New Transition

Will, Justin and I arrived in Kampala, Uganda on Monday. We will be traveling to a couple different places in Uganda over the next couple months to try and set up a temporary ministry site until it is safe to return to Mundri. The hope is to find a site where we can continue to work with South Sudanese people to build relationships/ work on language.

As we have begun this next transition, many people have asked if we are excited. To be totally honest, excitement is not even close to the top of my emotions right now. This will be our third east African country to LIVE in this year. That is not what we expected when we signed up to move to South Sudan last year.

However, just because my heart is not excited about another transition, does not mean it is not willing. Although we signed up to work with Serge in South Sudan, what we really signed up for was to follow God where He sent us. We thought that was South Sudan... and it was for a time (and hopefully still is long term). But due to war and instability, we can't be there right now. I am finally coming to realize that is okay. Don't get me wrong, I long to be in the Mundri market sipping (wayyy too hot) tea and eating mandazi while giggling with my friends at my butchered Moru attempts and laughing at the fact that my tongue cannot make the same sounds as theirs can- no matter how hard I seem to try. But more than this desire to be with my friends in Mundri, is my heart's cry to follow God where He sends.

And right now, He is directing us to Uganda.

So in Uganda we are. Ready vessels. Not sure at all about what the future will hold for us here. Not sure at all about if this will be a 5 month stop or a 4 year solution. We have no idea. But we do know that we serve a faithful God. We know He is not leading us astray and that He loves to use His willing children.

Romans 15:13 says, "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

As we are facing this new transition, I am encouraged by this verse because it does not say, "Muster up hope and joy by your own strength". Instead it says, "you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit". The Holy Spirit provides hope. As we chose to trust in Him, He provides us with hope and joy. How beautiful is that?

So, am I excited to be in Uganda right now with a long list of un-answered questions and an unclear future? No. However, I am excited to know we are right where God is calling us at the moment. Because of that, I am excited for the future. Knowing God will show up and will guide and direct us- in His timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment