Friday, September 4, 2015

Buzz Buzz

buzz.

Buzz Buzz.

BUZZZZZZ!!!

I wake from my unconscious, sleep state and try to make sense of what is happening.

Mosquito. By my ear... KILL IT!!!

Okay, it went away, I can go back to sleep.

This scenario happened about 15 times last night (or maybe I'm exaggerating, I'm a bit sleep deprived due to mosquitoes...).

Will and I are at a guest house in Kampala, Uganda. Our room has a mosquito net, which was apparently in use to keep the mosquitoes contained INSIDE last night.

3:01am- I awake to the light being turned on and my husband immediately standing on top of the bed with his hand cupped around his ear so he could best hear the location of the mosquito.

3:03am- Will: "Do you hear it?? I think I hear it!!" CLAP "Okay, no, I didn't get it. Do you hear it?"

3:06am- Me: "I think it's over here.... yes! It's right by my ear, get it!" SMACK "Got it!!"

3:07am- Light goes off, back to sleep.

3:09am- "Ahhhh! Do you hear that?!"

Light on. Will resumes hunting position- hands poised for clapping. Will looks around the room for the disruptor. After searching for several minutes Will said, "You know what the worst part of this is? We could find out in 3 weeks that all of this was a hallucination and there were never actually mosquitoes in our room..." (We're on malaria prophylaxis medicine that can very, very rarely cause hallucinations: ironic much?).

And the night continued in this fashion. Buzzing, lights on, smacking mosquitoes to their death, sleep.

And here is the part of the post where you realize I have no real purpose of this post other than we hate mosquitoes and desperately need a break... Pray for us ;).

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha. Mosquitoes can be so maddening. Matt just got bit by one of those ridiculously small ones you can find in the States. There are few things as frustrating as feeling like you must bathe in bug spray to survive a night's sleep. I fear we'll only learn this lesson all too well sometime next year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!!!! I just read this and love it!!!

    ReplyDelete