Friday, November 21, 2014

Visiting Francis

Visiting people is a big deal here. It’s a great way to get to know people as you see them in their most comfortable state of being at home. You get to meet their extended family as most people have both immediate family and, at times, distant relatives that are connected through some web of people but casually referred to as “brother” or “sister” living in the compound.

A group of people who live on Francis' compound
I, Will, had the privilege of being invited by Francis, my language helper, to visit him and his family at his compound. After a few weeks of trying to find a time that worked we settled on this past Tuesday. Knowing what a big deal this is culturally I was very excited to have this opportunity.

Many things could be said about my visit, however, what I want to focus on is Francis and his family. Simply put, they are some of the most strong and sacrificial people I’ve ever met.

To help you understand, I should back up and explain my visit.

First, it is a 3.5-mile hike, one way, through the bush from town to get to his house. Not on a sidewalk or road but on a trail at some points about one foot wide with bush touching in the middle blocking your way. My teammate, Scott, had to go with me to show me the way as there are several turns and small rivers to cross.

Second, Francis explained a couple weeks ago, “There is too much water for you to visit now. It would take too long.” Now, after completing the hike, I understand why. With the small rivers, mentioned above, parts would have been covered in water with no way to pass without getting wet. Francis wanted to save me from this experience and even as I pushed he would not budge.

Finally, he wanted me to wait so they could prepare. Yes, prepare for my visit so they could offer the best of what they had.

Scott and Obracko walking on the path to Francis' house
After making the 3.5-mile hike with Scott and a new friend, Obracko (not that you would know, but I totally butchered that name) we were greeted by a happy Francis and the rest of his family. Francis is not married, but like most people here, he lives with his family that includes 3 sisters and all their children (maybe 12 total).

We drank local hibiscus tea while sitting in his tukul and after an hour or so I started thinking we would probably leave soon as Francis needed to get in to the market and man his store.

3 hours later after a huge lunch of linya (local food often made with maize or sorghum with the consistency of playdough), chicken (having chicken here is a BIG deal. The fact they killed one for my visit made me feel very humbled) and local peanut butter with honey mixed together, and after singing and dancing (okay, Scott and the kids danced, I could barely move after lunch) and after being fed fresh papaya we were finally ready to go.

Francis walked with us back to town and I was struck by the strength and sacrificial giving he and his family have.

Strength as he, and any of his family, walks 3.5-miles any time they need to get to town and then turn around and go back. To put this in perspective, next time you go to the grocery imagine having to walk there, only buy what you can carry in your hands or on your back/head and turn around and walk home. They are strong people! Not only in physical strength but also in a quiet resilience that has never been required of me.
Will's language helper, Francis

Sacrificial giving as he, and his family, sacrificed one of their chickens for me. They took what is of great value here and used it to serve and welcome me. I was so humbled because I’m usually looking for ways to NOT offer my best of anything so I can have it. I just tried to think of a way to put this in perspective but I can’t. It’s so far out and has so many layers (such as, I have no idea the last time any of the children at his house had chicken) I can’t even begin to help you understand the sacrifice they showed and the humility I was struck with.

I got a taste of what I imagine it is like for the Kingdom of God to come to earth through Francis’ strength and sacrificial giving. May we offer those same things to people knowing we are all in deep need of the Kingdom to come “on earth as it is in heaven.”  



No comments:

Post a Comment