Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Adjustments

The shower that we had added onto our house was finished yesterday! We will be able to use it for the first time today.

In order to attach the shower room to our house, they had to break through one of the walls in our bedroom. They busted through the wall where our shelves used to be. This is now the entrance to the shower and we will have shelves for our clothes in the hallway to the shower.

Our room before the addition

The entry after they busted through the wall
After they broke through that wall, I remember thinking, “this will never seem normal. Our room will always seem different and I don’t think I will get used to this.” Now, this was very “twelve year old girl who was just told she was moving schools” of me, but it felt real at the time. This feeling was perpetuated because the workers left for a few days and the room was left with concrete splattered on the walls and concrete on the inside of the shower area.

As a finishing touch yesterday, they painted the shower room and ceiling the same color as the walls in our bedroom. When I first saw it I thought, “Wow, this might actually feel normal now!”


The entry to the shower after they finished painting
The inside of the finished shower area
As I was going to be last night, I realized these feelings were similar to how I was adjusting to life here in Mundri. When we first moved here it didn’t seem like it could ever seem normal to live here for five years. Everything was so different and so uncomfortable that I really wasn’t sure if I would ever adjust. However, here we are 5 months later and I’m starting to think that there is hope of adjusting to this life. It’s as if God is slowing showing me that the paint colors are starting to match up and the room will look more “normal” soon. This has to be divine intervention because I know I don’t have the strength to adjust to this lifestyle on my own abilities. The people here have been made strong through their difficult circumstances and I haven’t had to have the strength that they have needed in their lives. However, God has seen our situation and had grace on us. He is helping us to adapt, one paint stroke at a time, and is showing us glimpses of how far we are coming along the way. One day this life in Mundri will feel more normal and will fit inside the story of our lives like it belonged there all along.

1 comment: