Saturday, February 21, 2015

Dry Season

We are in the middle of dry season her in Mundri. I was struck the other day by how different everything looks now that it has not rained in over 2 months. The change has been so gradual over the past few months, that it has just hit me recently how big the difference is between how things look in rainy season vs. dry season. Here are some pictures to show the difference.

Rainy Season

Dry Season
Flowers near our house during rainy season


The same spot during dry season
 As the land here is parched and dry, these words from Isaiah have continually come to my mind.
"The Lord will guide you always;
    he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
    and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
    like a spring whose waters never fail."

One thing that has amazed me during this season is that even in the midst of this been a season of "sun scorched land", God has provided some plants that flourish in this weather. To the right is a picture of a tree that is in the middle of our compound next to the latrine. It is absolutely beautiful this time of year! Every time I notice it, I praise the Lord for sending beauty into this season where everything else is dry and dead. I have been praying that God would direct my eye to the beautiful things in the midst of this dry season. The wonderful thing is they are easy to spot because beauty "pops" in the midst of dry and dead things. My eyes have been drawn to the colorfully feathered birds and other plants in town that are surviving this dry season. I'm grateful for these reminders of life and of beauty. 



No comments:

Post a Comment